Dental Health Week 2018 in Warner
Its aim is to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health in every aspect of their lives, and its theme this year is “Watch Your Mouth”.
It has four main objectives:
- Brush teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste
- Clean in-between teeth once a day (with floss or interdental brushes)
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
- Regularly visit the dentist for check-ups and preventive treatment.
By highlighting Dental Health Week, your Warner Lakes Dental clinic hopes to help you appreciate that, no matter how hectic your schedule or where you might be in life, you can fit caring for your teeth and gums into your routine by following these four simple pieces of advice.
Throughout the course of Dental Health Week, you are encouraged to take extra time to brush and floss properly – we have some great tips if you’re not entirely certain what that entails – and to make booking time with your dentist as big a priority as visiting the hairdresser, watching the game, or going out with mates.
Brush with fluoride toothpaste
To gain the maximum benefit from brushing your teeth, the brushing needs to be done properly:
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, twice a day. Most people don’t come close to brushing for that long, often brushing their teeth quickly.
- Squeeze a pea-sized blob of toothpaste onto a soft bristled brush.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush with a small head and flexible neck.
- Clean your teeth methodically with the toothbrush against the gum line at a 45-degree angle.
- Don’t just grind away – too much pressure can damage gums & tooth enamel.
- Choose a toothpaste with fluoride and replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
If you have limited dexterity, an electric toothbrush may be a better option since it does a lot of the work for you. Electric toothbrushes also usually come with timers, often timers that count down 30-second intervals, making it easier to equally brush all quadrants of the mouth.
Clean in-between teeth
Here are the ADA rules for flossing
- Make flossing part of your oral hygiene regimen.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Ask your dentist to demonstrate the correct flossing technique.
- Ask your dentist if interdental aids will complement your flossing.
- Your children should be flossed as soon as they have teeth that touch.
And the technique they recommend:
- Wind approximately 45 cm of floss around your middle fingers and grip it tightly between your thumbs and index fingers.
- Keeping the thumb and index close together, gently steer the floss between your teeth, being careful not to cut or damage your gums with a sharp movement. Use a side-to-side motion so that the sides of both teeth are cleaned equally.
- To clean point where a tooth meets the gums, curl the floss around the base of the tooth and slide it carefully under the gum.
If you need help with either flossing or brushing technique (or prefer a different tool such as an interdental cleaner or oral irrigator), talk to your Warner dentist at Warner Lakes Dental.
Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
The foods you choose and how often and when you eat them can affect your general health and the health of your teeth and gums. Too many sugar-drinks and snacks can lead to tooth decay. Eat well, for both your oral and general health!
Learn more about sugar and your oral health here
Visit Your Warner Lakes Dental Brisbane dentist on a regular schedule
A vast majority of Australians, more than 65%, have not seen in a dentist in over two years. This is an ongoing problem, which can cause several health-related issues. One of the simplest ways to improve your dental health is to have a dental checkup at least once every six months.
To help our community during Dental Health Week, we offer the following promotions (check with us for terms and conditions):
- zipMoney Mediplan. zipMoney allows you to spread the cost of your treatment with flexible interest-free payments on your own terms.
- Single tooth dental implants at an affordable price. Implant, Fixtures and Crown for only $2,798.
- FOR FRONT TEETH – $2998
The Warner Lakes Dental Care Experience
Warner Lakes Dental wants your visit to be the quickest and most convenient dental experience possible. From parking to treatment, we try to make the entire process as simple and painless as possible.
From routine check-ups and cleans to root canals, extractions, and cosmetic treatments, Warner Lakes Dental is your partner in dental health.
We want you to enjoy the Dental Health Week, and beyond, with a stunning smile and healthy mouth, teeth, and gums!
Call (07) 3448 0162 or visit us at Warner Lakes Medical Precinct 1185B Old North Rd in Warner.