Dental Tips: How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
Dental Health Week is a yearly oral health campaign that aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least two times every day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
This year, Dental Health Week is on 3-9 August.
With Dental Health Week coming up, Warner Lakes Dental focuses on the dangers sugar does to one’s oral health, aiming to help our patients ‘get sugar savvy’.
How Much Sugar is in your Trolley?
Your Miranda dentist aims to deliver helpful dental information that includes the recommended regular sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and the effects of sugar on our teeth.
This information is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid foods and drinks with added sugars.
- Consume foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Check for hidden sugars in your foods and drinks.
These important sugar-related messages will be conveyed through the tagline: ‘How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’, which draws on the concept of hidden sugars and checking food labels to make healthy choices.
Making healthy choices at the supermarket means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
With all dental information and advice on the internet, we may think that everyone has good oral health, the reality is, the oral health of many Australians is not near our expectations.
Check out a few of sugar-related dental statistics below:
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day.
- Almost half of the Australian population never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people consume too much sugar.
- 47% of adults consume too much sugar.
Visit your Warner dentist to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week this year.
A visit to Warner Lakes Dental is great for one-on-one advice where your questions can be answered.
The Dental Care Experience in Warner
Warner Lakes Dental makes your visit the quickest and most convenient dental experience possible.
We want you and your family to enjoy life with a stunning smile and a healthy mouth, teeth, and gums!
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Warner
We are located at Warner Lakes Medical Precinct, 1185B Old North Road in Warner.